Monday, February 23, 2015

The Rally Point

This book was written after "The Long Ride Home" but takes place during the same time.  "The Long Ride Home" follows 'Sue', who is basically me, riding my bicycle across the country after an EMP, trying to get home in a country that is just starting to realize things have changed...maybe forever.  "The Rally Point follows my husband, kids, and grandkids during the same event, as my husband prepares for everyone to arrive, and the kids and grandkids bug out to our homsestead. 

At the time I wrote this book all of the kids lived within 75 miles of our place in NW Montana.  All but one had moved to "the city" (Kalispell) to get jobs.  One had been lucky enough to get a job at a golf course.  He was 20 years old and still living in our home at that time.  Now he's married and lives in a small town 18 miles from us. 

This son, who went by the name of 'John' in the book, didn't need to "bug out" because he was already at our home.  I needed some adventures to write into the book for him, so I initially planned to have him go after one or more of his siblings that needed help to get to our place.  Then I thought about him being on the volunteer fire department and Search & Rescue and decided to put a couple of scenes in where he was called out in that capacity, in a SHTF scenario.  One of those scenes, the chemical truck accident, still brings tears to my eyes when I read it.  I suppose an author shouldn't admit that about their own work! 

Another son went by the name 'Charlie' in the book.  He, too, wasn't married, so I wrote in a girl that he meets as he bugs out and brings along.  I tried to keep the characters close to the real kids in what they liked, how they lived, and what jobs they had.  'Charlie' is an anime fan and collects swords, and I made the girl half-Japanese, and had him carrying a Katana on his back, which the real-life young man would do. 

When I started talking to the family about this book I told them to think of what names they would like to be called in the book.  Those that didn't provide a name ended up being called by their middle names.  The kids and grandkids were excited about the book and I talked with each of them about what they pictured if they had to bug out to our place.  It was a good learning experience for them to think of it as a real situation and plan it out.  Some almost hung over my shoulder to see what I wrote about them, others wanted to wait until I was done to read it. 

My husband chose the name "Walter".  He's a funny and somewhat crotchedy.... like the Jeff Dunham ventriloquist dummy by that name.  It was Mr. Dunham's early years when he first "got big" and he was less vulgar.  So if you look him up now to see who I'm referring to, you might find newer content with more bad words.  Still funny though.  Anyway, we had a name for him now.  If our place was as organized as I wrote it to be in the book, it might be true that my husband could actually find the things to make chili and other things I had him doing in the book!  But alas, every time I get something organized I have to dig for something else and usually make a bigger mess. 

The kids that had horses in the book, have those horses in real life.  The ones with bicycles or other things, have those in real life.  I wanted this to be something they could actually do if a bad event ever really did happen.  I also worked some of their personalities into their characters.  At least, the way "mom" sees it!  If they're like I was when I was their age, they probably hear me talk about them and wonder who I'm talking about! 

One of the hardest things was trying to get the timeline to be similar to the "Long Ride Home" book.  Obviously it would take Sue pretty long to ride a bicycle from central Mississippi to northwest Montana.  But it would only take a couple days at most for the kids and grandkids to make it their short distances to our house.  I had to work with passage of time issues, and as a new writer I felt like I had a bumpy journey there.  This was only my second book.  At the time I never thought of it as something I would publish for sale.  It was going to go up alongside the other book on the preparedness forum I belonged to.  So I didn't feel as much pressure to be 'professional' as I wrote it.

I like how I tied the ending of both books together in each one.  Sue arrived at the cabin and was surrounded by family in the yard at the end of both books.  Sue and the traveling companions she had ended up with had happened across a wrecked Pepsi truck and salvaged several cases of pop.  In "Rally Point" Charlie and the girl had happened across a Frito-Lays delivery truck with a mortally wounded driver and salvaged several bags of chips.  I thought that was a nice touch.  Most preppers have stored up foods essential for survival, and some are very serious about nutrition.  But what a lot of us will really miss is the junk food.  Pop, candy bars, and chips.  We can make cookies, cakes, and pies.  But a can of pepsi, a Hershey bar, and a bag of corn chips will be gold after a year into a real SHTF situation.  Though I could be wrong.  We might all just be glad to still be ALIVE at that point.

When I can sink my mind into my stories and BE my characters I do my best writing.  It's not just thinking about what I would do in their case, it becomes me doing that.  I had to find a middle ground of being my characters, and yet letting them be their characters.  How do they think and act?  What would they say?  How do they treat each other?  Those are the things that would bring the individual to life.  I wanted the kids to like how I presented them.  I wanted them to like the dialogue I placed in their mouths.

I feel like I really captured some of their personalities.  Rose would be the worrier making sure her brother, Charlie, really did get out of town, because Charlie, being who he is in real life, would be the one who would not leave town until he made sure the other siblings were all on their way.  And at the cabin when Aemelia's son was standing at the table while they made pancakes and without turning she asked him what he had in his mouth, the boy swallowed the dried huckleberry (like a wild blueberry) and said "nothing", while thinking "Mothers!  How do they know this stuff"!  I thought that was very telling.  My kids might be 'other people' that I would barely recognize when they're away from me and around their friends, but they still have certain things to their personalities that they are defined by in their behaviors.  It was easy to write some of those things into the book. 

As I wrote the accounts of their fictional journeys up to our house in a world whose civilization and order was rapidly deteriorating I tried to put in adventures and challenges for them to deal with.  I tried to use their actual talents, skills, and hobbies to create their book characters.

I toyed with a third book to tie the first two together and complete things, but I couldn't think up enough action for it.  They would all be "bugged in" at the homestead and it would basically be every day life of gardening, preserving food, cutting firewood, making sure we were all safe in our remote neighborhood.  There could be scenes of outsiders trying to come in among us, or accidents or grizzly bears (it IS grizzly bear country up there!), but it still didn't seem exciting to me.  I have found it easier to write books that have people on the move.  I may still write the book, but I have a lot of others in line that I would like to write first.  Some are sequels to my other prepper fiction books.

Another thing that makes it hard to think about the third book is that the life situation has changed for nearly all of the kids.  'John' is married now.  Joyce has moved to another nearby town and has two more children.  Rose is married to Alan now and they have two sons.  It would be hard to leave those people out but they don't have a place in the book either.  I could do it, but I'd have to get in the right mind set to not include these wonderful additions to our family.  I could have 'John' meet his future wife in the third book, but I can't pop those four other grandchildren (belonging to two different daughters) into the book unless it covers a long period of time.  And maybe I think too hard? 

I could not think of a title for this book. A  friend in Canada named it "The Montana Homestead" when we put it on the preparedness forum.  But when we published it we wracked our brains for a more fitting title.  We finally settled on "The Rally Point", which I don't think really tells the reader much about the story they're about to read.  Maybe someone will come up with a really good title someday that just fits right in with the story.  Usually the title for a book I'm writing just settles in my brain and makes itself at home, but not this one.

Here's the original cover for the kindle version.  I'm not sure why it's fuzzy.  I copied and pasted it from Amazon.

 

Here's the cover for the print version of the book:



Here's the link if you would like to look at the book on amazon.com,
or to buy the book:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment